- Tonight, shortly before you go to bed, go somewhere quiet and sit in a comfortable position.
- Set your timer for five minutes (or whatever you’d like), or simply decide to go for a time that feels right.
- Take a few slow breaths. Feel yourself releasing any tension in your temples, brow and forehead area, neck and shoulder area, and back.
- Then focus on your heart area, and feel a sense of relaxing.
- When you are relaxed, continue to concentrate on your heart area and think of a beloved family member or friend (whether of the human or pet variety and whether alive or passed on).
- Continue breathing in an even and slow manner, with a slightly longer exhale.
- Imagine that beloved is in front of you and feel the connection you have.
- Spend the time you’ve allotted simply feeling a sense of that connection and it’s warmth.
- End your meditation (when the timer goes off or when you’ve finished) with a sense of gratitude both for what you have given and what you have received in this relationship.